I love fresh flowers, whether they are from the garden or from the farmers market. Here are some easy tips to keep your blooms pretty and perky for longer. I picked these ones from my garden this morning and the beautiful LSA vase was a gift from my boyfriend for my 21st birthday.
1. Choose flowers that aren’t in full bloom yet (gerberas are the exception)
2. Leaves will yellow before flowers start to die, so buy flowers with healthy, green leaves
3. Cut the stems diagonally when you get them home, and trim them every few days.
4. Trim off all the foliage on the lower part of the stalk, that would be in the water
5. Add flower food to the water, or make your own: 1 tsp sugar, 2 tsp lemon or lime juice and 2 tsp household bleach
6. Change the water every other day